Getting an Awesome Entertainment Internship
Autumn is approaching and a lot of college students are just settling in at their first entertainment internship. But how does someone get an internship? And what about “not just any internship,” but one that is going to set them on a course to entertainment career success?
Well, for those of you who haven’t yet landed an internship - or whose first internship isn’t turning out to be all that great, here’s a quick guide to finding an awesome internship:
1) Be strategic- If you start early and use these internship-getting tips, you have the opportunity to be somewhat selective. Target an internship in the area of the industry in which you want to work post-graduation. This is your opportunity to get resume fodder, connections, and good solid work experience. The more laser-focused you are on your area of interest, the better.
2) Aim high- Make a list of the top companies where you want to work. Call them first. Even the name places have interns working there. Why not be one of them? Though interning at a little-known company can be a great jumping off place for your career (a scrappy start-up could provide an excellent job opportunity for you when you graduate), you want to do your homework and know (as much as you can) what you’re getting into with every opportunity.
3) Have a short pitch ready- “My name is Jenny Martin. I am a junior at Boston University majoring in communications. I am interested in interning at Katalyst in the spring. How do I submit myself for consideration?” Easy, right?
4) Don’t be shy- Companies love interns because they work for free and the smart ones work as hard or harder than anyone on payroll. If you get someone who is curt on the phone, don’t be put off. They are busy and they get lot of calls from potential interns, so keep smiling and be persistent.
5) Follow-up- Call back if you don’t get a return call. Start your pitch again. “This is Jenny Martin. I called a week ago and I wanted to check back. I am calling about an internship…” And keep following up until they tell you a definitive no or until you land that internship!
Know anyone who could use an entertainment industry insider? Encourage them to sign up on the YII home page to receive our Mogul Mindset eBlasts today!